Watch this video by Hamilton House and pay attention to the differences between the two forms of the Present tense used:
Read these parts of the script and answer the following question:
What differences are there among the coloured forms of the verbs? Why are they used differently?
- Why are you wearing a tie? You never wear ties.
- I hate ties, but I'm wearing this tie because it's a present from my cousin George.
- What are you cooking?
- I'm cooking vegetables.
- Vegetables? But you hate vegetables! You always eat meat.
- Yes, but cousin George is a vegetarian. He doesn't eat meat.
- What are you doing?
- I'm putting away my things. There's always a disaster when George comes.